Sunday, August 16, 2015

5 Star Harper Teen ARC Review: The White Rose (Amy Ewing)

The White Rose (The Lone City, #2)
Hardcover, 320 pages
Expected publication: October 6th 2015 by HarperTeen



Violet is on the run. After the Duchess of the Lake catches Violet with Ash, the hired companion at the Palace of the Lake, Violet has no choice but to escape the Jewel or face certain death. So along with Ash and her best friend, Raven, Violet runs away from her unbearable life of servitude.
But no one said leaving the Jewel would be easy. As they make their way through the circles of the Lone City, Regimentals track their every move, and the trio barely manages to make it out unscathed and into the safe haven they were promised—a mysterious house in the Farm.
But there’s a rebellion brewing, and Violet has found herself in the middle of it. Alongside a new ally, Violet discovers her Auguries are much more powerful than she ever imagined. But is she strong enough to rise up against the Jewel and everything she has ever known?
The White Rose is a raw, captivating sequel to The Jewel that fans won’t be able to put down until the final shocking moments. 

Pre-Order Links:  


Amy Ewing
Amy Ewing is the young adult author of The Jewel, the first in a trilogy from HarperTeen, coming out September 2014.
She grew up in a small town outside Boston, where her librarian mother instilled a deep love of reading at a young age. Amy moved to New York City in 2000 to study theater at New York University. Unfortunately, her acting career didn’t quite pan out. She worked in restaurants, as an administrative assistant, a nanny, and a sales representative for a wine distributor before the lack of creativity in her life drove her to begin writing.
Amy received her MFA in Creative Writing for Children from The New School, where she was lucky enough to meet a fabulous community of YA writers who keep her sane on a daily basis. She lives in Harlem, where she spends her days writing, eating cheese, and occasionally binge watching The Vampire Diaries.


So first of all....THAT COVER...I mean seriously?? What an gorgeous cover..I absolutely loved the cover of the first book in this series, The Jewel, and didn't think they would be able to top it..but they did. 

I loved The Jewel so much and when I finished it and it left such a cliffhanger....I thought I would die until I got my hands on the sequel...So when I opened my mail and saw The White Rose...I literally screamed! and let me tell you....I was not disappointed..it was worth the wait!!!

The White Rose picks up exactly where The Jewel ends and we begin to follow Ash, Violet, and Raven as they begin their adventure to find the safe refuge called The White Rose. There are so many secrets revealed in this sequel that it is hard to not give something away...So I am going to try and keep this brief because the reader really needs to experience this book for themselves!!

I love how Amy uses this sequel to develop her characters and to explain their back stories which helps the readers to see why some chose the paths they did. I also love how some of the characters such as Garnet and Raven begin to develop closer relationships. 

"I was wrong about you," Raven says. I didn't realize she'd been listening. She looks at Garnet with a single-minded ferocity "You aren't a coward." Her eyes become glassy. Double-focused, as I suppose I've come to think of it. "You've never had real friends. You just needed something to fight for."

One of my favorite aspects of this book is the fact that instead of placing a "love triangle" into this book...Amy deepens the relationship between Violet and Ash....FINALLY a young adult book that focuses on the relationship of one couple without all the drama of a third person. 

There are so many intense scenes in The White Rose and I literally could not put his book down. The White Rose is full of romance, mystery, and intrigue and fans of Young Adult books will devour this in one sitting!!! I cannot wait to get my hands on the conclusion of this series and see where all these phenomenal characters end up.....





**The quotes from this book have been taken from an Advanced Reading Copy and are subject to change when the final book is printed. Please refer to the final, finished copy for exact quotes!**

**I want to say Thank You to Harper Teen for the opportunity to review this book!!**

1 comment:

  1. YES - I'm so glad you loved this! You're so right about cliffie ending, too. I'm even more excited to start THE WHITE ROSE now, and that cover is gorgeous.
    Thanks for the lovely review, Beth :)

    ReplyDelete